Sunday, December 5, 2010

Purple Sandpipers

Winter is coming on we have had a shift in the bird populations. Our winter birds are coming in. We have Common Loons, Red-breasted Mergansers, Buffleheads, Great Cormorants, American Black Ducks and to add to the list, this morning off The Fort, I spied Surf Scoter and a Razorbill. Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera, it was gone.

The tide was high and the weather overcast so I decided to head to Dogbar Breakwater and see if I could find some Purple Sandpipers. I’m happy to say that I did find three.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Roller coming in!

P.S. At 8:30, there were a pair of Razorbills in Gloucester Harbor hunting off of the radar reflector by the Tarr and Wonson Paint Factory.

8 comments:

Roy said...

And you got some fantastic shots of them Steve.

Carol Mattingly said...

They look so peaceful but I'm guessing they're chilly too. Carol

forestal said...

wonderful photos Steve!

dan

Chris said...

you found three and you use the opportunity quite well. These are exquisite portraits Steve...

goodmorninggloucester said...

Steve in all my years down the dock I've never seen this type of bird-

http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/can-anyone-identify-this-bird/

Can you help identify it?
I've shown the picture to a bunch of my fishermen who have been on the water all their life and had never seen one either. I'd say it was a gull but this went under water like a loon or a cormorant.

ksdoolittle said...

Oh, Steve, wonderful shots of these Purple Sandpipers. I'm so envious!! ~karen

texwisgirl said...

Wonderful birds! Great photos! You are an artist! :)

The Early Birder said...

Not sure how I missed this post. Great shots of the Purple Sand.

Related Posts with Thumbnails