Sunday, November 7, 2010

Scituate Light: for my friend Patty in Colorado

Yesterday Becky and I had a trip to Braintree, Massachusetts mapped out. A few days earlier I received a FaceBook message from a friend in Colorado. She mentioned that she stopped by the blog and commented that she used to live in Scituate and my photos made her homesick.

As Becky was getting ready to go, I had a few minutes to satisfy my curiosity. Where is Scituate and why would my friend from Colorado miss is so? Well, it was within a half hour drive of Braintree and since we were already going way down south of Boston, why not go and have a look?

Those that do not live in the Boston area may not be aware that there are two camps. The North Shore camp and the South Shore camp. Each has its own biases and generally do not stray into the other’s territory. We on Cape Ann refer to Cape Code as “the other cape”. Becky and I often think about going to the other cape. It would be pretty cool, they have boats, fresh sea food, lighthouses…uh, hmmmm. We have that here…in our front yard.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Above is the lighthouse, we found a great little restaurant that served sea food. I had an excellent fish chowder and a broiled seafood plate with stuffed sole, haddock, stuffed shrimp and scallops. Perfecto! Stay tuned, I’ll have some more shots from Scituate with boats and all of the fixings that make Maritime New England such a wonderful place.

Scenic Sunday

7 comments:

Chris Petrak said...

Something about a lighthouse that always draws us - is it the beacon it represents in a storm? The warning of danger? The sense of safety? Your morning fog pics convey a mysticism of mist - the mysterious that enshrouds us. And your gull - vainly wanting a place on the vane - love it!!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I love New England and have always wanted to visit ANY Cape! Thanks for the tour - I can see why your friend misses it there so much.

Southshoreandbeyond said...

Ah, the battle of which Cape is better. From someone who has lived on the "other cape" for a while, and is now on the South Shore, I can honestly say, the North Shore has the best clams anywhere! People, if you are dying for some authentic New England clam "chawdah", you gotta go north of Boston.

Jen said...

I always love a New England lighthouse, no matter where in N.E. it's located... I'll be on Cape Cod for the holidays and these photos are getting me excited for the visit!

Steve Borichevsky said...

Bundle up Jen! I'm sure you will love your visit.

Hey SouthShore, I'll tell you, that fish chowder I had in Scituate had it going on! I asked the chef, he used clam and lobster broth in with the fish. I didn’t have to ask about whether he used cream or not.

For those located away from the maritime areas, clam chowder does not have thickeners, isn’t gloppy and shoot anyone who uses a roux or corn starch.

Speaking of bundling up Chris, it must be getting cold in Vermont.

Hi Giraffe Head Tree, South Shore, North Shore, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire or Rhode Island. Maritime New England is a great place.

sunflowerkat321 said...

Hi Steve -

It's my first time participating in Scenic Sunday and I'm so tickled to have found your blog. New England has such a unique atmosphere...and you capture it beautifully. I'll look forward to visiting again!

Kat
http://inmydreamssfk.blogspot.com/

Roy said...

Interesting buildings Steve and worth the visit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails