Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Visit to an 18th Century Vermont Graveyard

It is the end of October, and that means that it is time to visit cemeteries to take in the colors and prepare your mindset for All Soul's Day.©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I visited cemetery in Vermont at the end of September. The early graves of New England often had headstones and five feel behind the headstone a footstone. These two graves are marked 1795 and 1807 and are showing urns and weeping willows, both important symbols in funerary art.  ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

The right headstone from above showing the willow and urn.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I was taken by these two graves of children. What caught my eye was the position of the footstone, which was only about two and a half feet from the headstone. It must belong to a child.headstones 9-25-2010 10-49-58 AM

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

The headstone is inscribed,
“In Memory of Charlotte
Daughter of
Major Elihu
& Mrs. Hephibah Field
Who Died August 22 1794
Aged 2 years
9 months
& 22 Days”

Next to her rests “Jane Sophia, Daughter of Elihu & Pamelia Field, Died Aug. 27 1819, AE. 3 years 6 ms” Here we see a transition of materials and styles of headstones in the twenty five years between the children. It makes me wonder, is this the same Elihu Field? A man who lost two children and possibly a wife?

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

In the mid 1800’s, in this cemetery, we still see a rather flat, two dimensional carving stile, by 1879, we begin to see a more three dimensional carving with this wheat motif.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse
I wonder if there is any significance to whether they have gone to rest with the right hand or the left? In any event, it was a lovely day to be in a solitary cemetery in Vermont.

10 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Great photos, I love going to old cemeteries, if only those old head stones could talk!

Kelly said...

...very cool post. Beautiful. I always love studying grave stone art.

Shirley said...

Such a beautiful setting for a graveyard. Interesting that they used headstones and footstones. I've never seen that before.

Kay said...

I love visiting old cemeteries. They make you wonder what the life of the people buried there was like. So much history.

Just Bill said...

Steve I know I do not comment often and hate to be critical but here in PA we call it All Soul not Sole.
I hate typos that get through the spell checker. How about you?

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks Bill! Perhaps my wife was cooking fish or maybe I was trying to shoe this post in too late at night.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What an interesting thing to take photos of. You know, I don't think I ever heard of a foot stone before. Great shots.

Craig Glenn said...

Very interesting post Steve. I love visiting old cemeteries. The fall colors are also stunning.

Craig

bunnits said...

Interesting gravestones. I liked the urn and willow--it took me back to one of my historic archaeology classes as an undergrad.

Just Bill said...

Yes Steve sole is a fish or the bottom of a shoe or means only.
I 'll take a Maine Lobster and raw clams when I visit you to take you out for dinner,
Bill

Related Posts with Thumbnails