Saturday, May 15, 2010

On Patrol

The last few weeks I have been checking out one of my favorite dragon spots to see if there were any around.  Walking up a narrow clearing, about 50 feet wide by a wooded vernal pool, I saw one on patrol.

©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

Eventually it landed low in the bramble, just long enough for me to get some shots off. ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

I’m not familiar with this bug, but in this day and age, I can shoot first and ask questions later. ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse

After all, how difficult could it be to find, look at those wind spots! What I had envisioned to be an easy session with the field guide did turn out to be a bit of a challenge. You see, the picture in the book was in different lighting and a different angle. Note that the spots disappear from a different angle. ©2010 ShootingMyUniverse However I did get a positive I.D.  This is a Spot-winged Glider.

13 comments:

MaineBirder said...

Sensational photos Steve! Love that flight shot!

Whitemist said...

Dragon flies were know to me growing up as Mosquito hawks and yes, they do patrol very well!

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

OMG and WOW! AMAZING shots! Hey, Steve...can you pop over to my blog and see if you can ID some boating stuff for me? In your spare time, of course...thanky!

grammie g said...

Those wings are so beautiful--look like lace---very nice photos!! I live near a pond and when I mow my lawn in the evening a swarm of them follow me all aroud!! Great stuff!!

Stacey Dawn said...

I hope to try my hand at some "bug" photogrpahy this summer. Great captures and details!

A New England Life said...

Is it early for the Dragonflies? I don't recall seeing them in May.

As always you got some wonderful images. Great in-flight shot!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous! Love the wings on the last two shots especially. I started learning dragons last year, but it's slow going for me. I learn something and a week later I've forgotten it!

The Early Birder said...

Super shooting Steve. Still waiting for our 'Dragons' to appear. FAB.

Tabib said...

Not easy to photographed that hovering helicopter.

Kerri said...

STUNNING captures of the DRAGON! The one in flight blows me away .....those are sooooo hard to get and yours is PERFECT!!

Judy said...

The action shot is my favourite!!! So glad you could tell us what it is, even if I will never remember!!!

Rusty said...

Beautiful, sharp detail! Fun subjects that don't stay still very long.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

"Tis the season and you captured it beautifully!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails