Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thick-billed Murre and Red-breasted Merganser

I got home from work today, brought in the trash cans, picked up the mail, took of my work badge and hung up my coat. Looking out the kitchen window, I saw a funny little bird way out, two thirds of the way to the Tarr and Wonson paint factory. Oh, cool, the Razorbill is back!

Looking through the binoculars, some things did not add up. This didn't have the big honking bill and the tail looked stubby. Could I have messed up the ID on Saturday's life bird? No, looking back, that was a Razorbill.

This is wa-a-a-a-a-y to far for my lens, but sometimes you have to shoot first and ask questions later. This is definitely a Thick-billed Murre and a life bird at that!



Okay, I'm pretty excited. Two life birds in Gloucester Harbor in one week. But the folks coming over from Watery Wednesday didn't come over to see a couple of black and white pixels wedged in between two juvenile Great Black-backed gulls, how about something more fun, like a Red-breasted Merganser that I shot Sunday on the Pelagic Trip?

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Visit Watery Wednesday

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Steve, congrats on your lifer. It would be a newbie for me. I lvoe the shots of the Red Breasted Merganser. Very NICE!

Judy said...

Just goes to show that sometimes, staying home can be a good thing! Two lifers from home, in a week!!!!!
I LOVE the first shot of the merganser! The second is cool too, but the splash effect is incredible!

Roy said...

The RB Merganser Wow! great shots.

Lindz said...

that's all awesome shots.

dAwN said...

Congrats on the Lifer! and..awesome pics of the Merganser!

Baba Doodlius said...

Birds are cool.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Oooh! I'm jealous. LOL! These are fantastic! One of these days I'll be able to play with a zoom that will let me do this.

J Bar said...

Great captures.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

JonJon Rosaleen said...

Beautiful!!! Love them!

Jay Albert said...

Those are great Steve! They look so focused in their takeoff procedures!

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Wow, such beautiful photography on your site - we love it.

The Early Birder said...

I like the RBM action shots and congrats on the lifers. FAB.

Natural Moments said...

We take in that which we can see...beautiful to see a bird walk on water so as to fly freely to any destination.

Nishant said...

I lvoe the shots of the Red Breasted Merganser.

Work From Home

Hilke Breder said...

I love the series of the Red-brested Merganser taking off. Good capture!

TonyC said...

You've done it again steve. Stunning shots of the Merganser.

Related Posts with Thumbnails