Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Steve's gone Point and Shoot?

Could it be? Steve B has gone PAS? Yes, it is true. On top of that, its a Canon not a Nikon like the rest of my gear. Canon makes mighty fine cameras however when I bought my D80 bodies, Nikon gave me the best bang for my buck. I shot Canons, Nikons and Minoltas in the film days.

Why go PAS? I have been invited to give a technical talk at an engineering workshop in Shanghai China. When traveling, I keep my gear in my possession on the air plane. Sometimes I'll bring the longer lens and pack the little point and shoot that we've had for 5 years in the bag. This is going to be a business trip and there will not be much time for wildlife photography so a point and shoot that I can discretely put into my pocket will be ideal.

The trick is to make friends with the camera so that I can take half decent pictures. My problem is that the camera do all of the thinking and it really is as simple as point and shoot. The damn thing figures out whether it is a people shot, a scenic, a macro or any one of the other baker's dozen of pre-programmed possibilities. What about me? What's my job? I guess just point and shoot.

Here are a couple of challenging shots. The first has bold whites, rich blues, highlights and shadows.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This picture was shot in Auto mode across the channel at State Fish Pier, sligtly zoomed in. It was a cloudy day. I used Average White Ballance.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

So-far-so-good. Oh, it's a SD960 IS. I have high hopes that I will be able to do some macro work that was not possible with my zoom lenses.

11 comments:

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

You live in such a beautiful, scenic place. How wonderful. Keep us posted on the PAS experiments. I know what you mean, though. If cameras could walk and talk and had arms we'd all be out of business.

MaineBirder said...

Excellent shots with the PAS Steve!

Jane said...

They are great shots Steve, I hope you have some fun with it and its functions.

Jenny said...

Have fun with that PAS Steve. Will look forward to some chinese posts when you get back.

Johnny Nutcase said...

Congrats on the talk in China! A point and click definitely comes in handy sometimes. I've got one that I use sometimes (like kayaking and stuff). The macro setting on it is surprisingly decent-ish, too.
I love that first shot of the harbor - good stuff!

Roy said...

Steve B with a PAS, I have heard it all now.{:)
Hi Steve, its a good little camera really. Coincidentally, my Wife has just got one the same (in Gold), hope you didn't buy the pink one Steve.{:)
Its really good for scenes with the wide angle shot. Of course as with all PAS it likes plenty of good light, but that to be expected. The set up is pretty standard in most of the Powershot range and you have plenty of flexibility with it. So we look forward to some nice Lighthouse shots.

The Early Birder said...

What could be simpler..just point and press. Don't fight it..go with the flow.
Nice shots Steve.

PeregrineSea said...

Point and shoot?? - I am impressed!!

I may need to a look at it ... Canon sd960 IS??? Just sold my d80 and picked up a d300. A truly good pas would be a handy and a great addition - now only if it were waterproof!

Great pictures.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Hi Peregrine Sea, You can get a waterproof enclosure for many PAS cameras, including this one.

Hi Frank, It only has one knob and four buttons.

Hi Roy, the first think I had to do was to figure out how to get it out of AUTO ISO. I'm really not partial to anything above ISO 200. My first couple of shots were so grainy because it was rather dark in the house.

Hi Johnny, I'm looking forward to shooting dragons!

Thanks John, Jane and Giraffe.

Eve said...

This will be a heck of an educational journey Steve! The pictures look great. I will look forward to the pictures from China as well.

Nishant said...

Excellent shots with the PAS Steve!

Work From Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails