Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Last Frame of the Decade

Can you believe it? It seemed like just yesterday that we were worried that air planes were going to fall out of the sky, our bank accounts would be lost and the end of the world was coming. Yes Y2k.

Here it is, December 31, 5:30PM and I'm editing the last photos of the decade. The lighting today was pretty dismal. But I wanted to take some time and practice shooting Harlequin Ducks. They are social ducks and are fun to watch. They make a sort of squeaky toy sound.

It is tough to get in close because they are diving ducks and they stay off shore. On top of that, they don't like bipeds. But nevertheless, I just wanted to enjoy the day and get some practice. Just as they were settling down, the snow came in, dropping the light even further.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Harlequin ducks are social but the males do squabble a bit. However when the boys get their eye on a girl they put on their best behaviour, line up and try to impress her as a group.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The snow picked up to the point where I decided it was time to go home. Here is the last boat shot of the decade.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

And when the snow stopped I took this, the last frame of the decade.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Happy New Year. Becky has the bay berry candles ready to light. It's just going to be the two of us tonight with a movie. Remember;

A bay berry candle burned down to the socket
Brings joy to the heart and wealth to the pocket.


Take care and thanks to all my friends and followers. Without you, I'd be wondering if a tree fell in the woods, would it make a sound?

23 comments:

Müge said...

I wish you and your family a Wonderful New Year full of Happiness and Joy! :-))

Carol said...

Beautiful New England images, especially the light house shot. Happy New Year!

eileeninmd said...

Great shots Steve, I love the harlequin ducks. They are beautiful ducks.
Your last shot is very scenic and pretty.

Happy New Years.

Elisabeth said...

The Harlequin ducks are fantastic...love the New England scenes especially the lighthouse. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Craig Glenn said...

Great shots Steve. Way to finish the year. I love the last shot.

Craig

Linnea W said...

What sweet looking birds and, yes, they must be fun to watch. You did a great job capturing them in action in the cold weather. Love your last to shots too! All the best to you as we begin another decade!

Serendipity said...

I really like the lighthouse shot. Happy new year :)

Kim said...

Gorgeous photos Steve and glad you got out there today to get pics of the Harlequin Ducks. Happy New Year to you and Becky!

Sylvia K said...

All of your captures are magnificent and I love the ducks! Never seen any of those! The last shot is real breath taker!! Wishing you much joy and peace and happiness in the coming year! I, too, was thinking about y2k today, I watched it arrive while living in Mexico. How time flies when you're having fun, I guess! Happy New Year, Steve!

Sylvia

Richard said...

Happy New Year Steve. I'm looking forward to more great pictures in the next decade.

Denise said...

Happy New Year Steve, I too am looking forward to seeing more wonderful photographs in the years ahead.

Tabib said...

Great shots of the decade, Steve.
Love to see that five boys line up to get a girl!. ;)

Jane said...

Despite the poor lighting and the visibilty due to the snow, these images are amasing Steve. I hope you have a great year ahead and thanks for sharing your universe with us:)

jabblog said...

Happy 2010!
The Harlequin ducks look as though they're carved from wood and painted - what glorious decoration they have.
Beautiful, beautiful photos as always - such a joy to look at.

Chris Petrak said...

Harlequins are among my favorites - great way to end the year. And with the snow, it seems to wash away the debris of the old year and make all things new.

Carol Mattingly said...

Steve, have a happy New Year! Carol

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hello Steve. This is to wish you and B the most wonderful 2010. May it bring you lots of joy and happiness, peace and love.

Di said...

Steve, the boyz made me laugh; they look very comical, almost toylike... very beautiful. Happy New Year and may 2010 be the best. Diana

Martha in PA said...

Oh my those ducks are adorable! All the photos are lovely!

I burned my bayberry candle too (and had pork and sauerkraut for dinner today too!)

I hope you have a happy and healthy New Year!

A New England Life said...

That girl knows she is all that and then some!

I hope you and Becky had a nice evening. We were in bed and asleep before 10.

What a nice boat picture to round out the year. And I see it's Midnight Sun ... which has a companion boat, though I can't recall the name right now.

Kerri said...

Fabulous post to end the decade Steve! I've never seen ducks like that before...and that they line up in a row to impress the lady...well that's even better :)
Of course your last shot rocks! My heart is always taken with the lighthouse :)
Happy New Year!!

Eve said...

I would love to see the Harlequin! Great shots! I love this post and the little saying!
Happy New Year Steve!

Mojo said...

These are wild looking birds! They almost don't even look real.

I'd never heard that bit about bay berry candles... does that only work on New Year's Eve?

As always Steve, these last frames of the decade are a feast. Looking forward to more in 2010!

Related Posts with Thumbnails