Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sailing Upstate New York

B and I visited my parents at their camp on a small lake in Upstate New York.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

We went out for a pleasant sail on Saturday afternoon.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
The Lightning we were on was like this one. Much smaller than the Pinky Schooner that I sailed on last Tuesday.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Two men enjoy an outing on an Adirondack Guide Boat. It is a large canoe fitted with oars used to move gear and patrons around the lakes and rivers in the Adirondack Mountains.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I’m not expecting to win any awards with this Common Loon Shot. I include it here not only because it was seen out our sail, but that morning was the first time that I heard a loon call. I’ve always wanted to hear one ever since I watched On Golden Pond with Henry Fonda and Jane Fonda. The Common Loons that I see in Gloucester are in their winter plumages. This one is dressed for summer.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

During our sail, we had a Damselfly join us for a little rest and relaxation.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Here my step dad handles the lines.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Scenic Sunday

11 comments:

A New England Life said...

What a nice post Steve. It looks like you enjoyed a wonderful afternoon with family. Your stepfather looks blissful and B appears very relaxed. Even the Damselfly knows a good thing when it see's it!

You've never heard a Loon call? I'm rather surprised at that being the birder that you are. I've heard them a few times but it's been a while now. Their haunting call is so beautiful. Thought I might have captured a couple with my camera yesterday. Turned out to be people swimming off in the distance ... in the middle of the lake no less.

Hope it was a nice time with your parents.

madcobug said...

I have never heard a loon call or seen one either. Great shots. It all looks so pretty and inviting. Helen

Frank said...

Looks like a very beautiful and peaceful place.

Ginnymo said...

Nice photos Steve, You got a great shot at that Loon.

Carol said...

Nice photos...I love the first shot, so peaceful and inviting...

Eve said...

Great post Steve! My old neck of the woods too!!

Brian said...

Great shots, Steve. Which lake is this (or do you want to keep it an unspoiled secret)? I grew up sailing on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes.

Cindy said...

Great shots Steve. Ahhh the call on the loon I love it and miss it during the year. There are always a few on the small lake i go to in Maine. So next week hopefully I will be listening to the call of the loon also.

You all look like you are having a great peaceful fun time. Oh is that canoe rather low in the water?

Steve B said...

Hi Cindy, I was a little surprised that the Adirondack Guide Boat sat so low.

Hi Brian, Eve, This is in the Capital District out side of Saratoga. So you're from Wine Country?

LOL, Sharon, No, I've never been around loons. The lake that I grew up on in VT didn't have them.

Brian said...

Steve, yes I'm from wine country. My favorite Finger Lakes vineyard(if I may put in a plug here) is Bloomer Creek. (Or should I put that on your other blog?)

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Are you living close to Adirondack? This is a region we had planned to visit before the economic crisis in Iceland, and we still want to go there. I would be happy if you could give me any nice info to visit this region!!!
Nice post, now I really want to go there!

Related Posts with Thumbnails