Saturday, August 1, 2009

On the Rocks

An American Goldfinch fluttered down to the rocks for a quick snack. He's starting his molt.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

A juvenile Ring-billed Gull takes a stretch.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

A Semipalmated Sandpiper also takes a stretch.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Here is a Semipalmated Plover.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

All photos were taken this morning at Eastern Point in Gloucester. This marks the beginning of the Fall migration. Speaking of migration, here is a shot of a Whimbrel that was flying over Gloucester last Tuesday. This is worth noting because it is the first Whimbrel that I've seen in Massachusetts.





Visit Camera Critters

12 comments:

floreta said...

great bird pictures!

Janie said...

Great captures. I loved them all.

Jenny said...

All great shots as usual Steve, but I particularly like the S P Plover shot.....the colours and the light are lovely and of course that all important gleam! (-:

Nikki-ann said...

Wonderful shots :) My favourite is the 4th.

The Early Birder said...

Migration time...great....I envy your location as you wait & watch as everything moves along the coast. Have fun Steve.

Kelly said...

...love the goldfinch shot. I'm so used to seeing them in trees with green all around them. I like seeing him on the rocks, a nice contrast.

Sandy Kessler said...

marvelous sandy

A New England Life said...

I can hardly bare to think of the birds migrating already. It seems so quiet in August, like the end of something really big.

Glad you were able to get out early this morning Steve. It was a beauty!

Roy said...

All lovely images Steve. We get a lot of Whimbrels here as certain times of the year.

Chris Petrak said...

Yours is the second blog I've read this morning that tells me it's time to travel east, because the shorebirds are coming! Thanks for the encouragement!

Eve said...

Wonderful Steve. It great to document these great finds!

Rocky Mountain Retreat said...

Terrific photos. I like the American Goldfinch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails