Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Not so Common, Common Tern

At the end of July, I was getting antsy. Where are the Common Terns? Then at the very end of July, I heard, “yack-yack-yack-yack”. Finally, on Monday it seemed that everything was right for shooting terns, so off I went.

This is the usual Tern shot, however, I want to show you something you've never seen before, maybe in a different style.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

How many people have seen a bird preen its belly while kiting? This tern just hung there for ten to fifteen seconds like this.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
This is cool, he’s got a fish and I got the shot.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
I want to try an experiment today. This is about Gloucester too.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Gloucester and its landscape. Here's Cape Pond Ice.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Here's Rocky Neck.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
And The Osprey.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
The tern alone would make the shot, but here we have an abstract painting of the waterfront. There is no mistake. These are Gloucester shots.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
Gloucester is wood, iron and water.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
This is Gloucester in the summer on a day without rain, fog or haze. It is a day to play with light.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse
This is why the artists come here, to play with the light.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Visit Watery Wednesday

18 comments:

J Bar said...

Great captures.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Lindy MacDuff said...

All very beautiful. I especially like the preening shot and the one with the fish in its beak, but the abstracts are pleasing as well. Very nice blog you have. :)

Kelly said...

...spectacular series...and fun too! I loved seeing these birds fly down the beach in an endless stream in Hilton Head earlier this summer. I miss them. Glad to see your shots.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is an unusual one of him preening himself Steve. I guess if you have an itch, you have to scratch it. :) I like the way you shot the series.

Eve said...

A master of art are you Steve! These had to be difficult and they are all stunning. I LOVE the Tern and the Osprey! Oh and the belly rub is a winner!

Abraham Lincoln said...

This bird is very attractive. Your photos of it are really crisp. The depth of field is stunning. I am not yet that gifted. I liked all of them but the one with it looking back under its belly is my favorite.

I am still making history on my Pick a Peck of Pixels blog. Today I posted a Zebra Butterfly with long tails. He is as big as your hand. Most have never seen one. Now you can see one at
Pick a Peck of Pixels

forestal said...

fantastic shots love the town in the background

dan

Whitemist said...

Your captures are exquisite! I posted my water color of the Eastern Shore light house yesterday.

Mary said...

Absolutely wonderful, Steve!

Regina said...

Another awesome photos!

Rob Ripma said...

Wow, incredible shots! Amazing how it was preening like that!

Tricia said...

amazing shots!

kate said...

Beautiful shots. Makes me want to release my non-releasable tern! Such amazing animals. thanks for putting these photos up! -kate

Dimple said...

Wow, what a great series of shots! The tern always in sharp focus as the background changes, wonderful!

Kitty said...

Beautiful! So perfectly focused too - I'm hopeless at following birds with my camera :)

A New England Life said...

That Turn really knows its way around town!

As always, amazing series of images Steve.

Barb said...

Your photographs are stunning. May I ask what lens you were using for the Tern in flight? The bird is so crisp and clear - I love the muted background colors, too. I have an 18-70 on my Sony SLR but am investigating other lenses. I'm definitely still in the learning phase, though I've been shooting with the camera for about 2 1/2 years!

Steve B said...

Thanks all, this was a fun experiment. I'm glad to have so much positive feedback from my community.

Hi Barb, These were shot with a 70-300mm Nikkor lens. You may also pick up some tips by clicking on my Tips tag.

Related Posts with Thumbnails