Friday, August 21, 2009

Forgotten Photo Friday, The Commuter Train

So I was walking around Dogtown, shooting dragons, looking for birds and generally getting away from it all when I heard the whistle blowing in Gloucester and the roar of a big General Electric engine coming down the tracks.

What may not be apparent is that these General Electric Diesel-Electric engines are hauling ass.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

It kind of reminded me of the first time that I got caught on the tracks with the commuter coming. This was last November when I was looking for some fall colors. I had no idea how fast it the train went, but I learned. The second time I got caught, I was in a bad place between two bodies of water with not much to hang on to.

I didn’t get train pictures that day. When you have thousands of tons of metal coming at you at high speed you don’t even have enough time to whish you packed a clean pair of shorts in the camera bag. There is no, “Let’s see, the sun is over there, and the best light is shining from the left. What’s my shutter speed?” No, “hunker down…here!” is a bout the only thought I can manage.

Yeah, that train is rolling is it isn’t going to stop for 160 pounds of meat and ten pounds of cameras. I hunkered down about five feet away from the tracks, low enough so the wheels were eye level and the train came hurling by.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Whoo-hooo, what a rush! It blew my hat into a near-by bush. After the train went by and the adrenaline burned off, I went into the bush to get my hat. Funny enough, I found my hat had landed beside someone else’s hat. See what I go through to get you the good stuff?

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Hahaha! You made me laugh...pretty exciting...fun photos as well!

Frank said...

Your a good man Steve.I don't know anyone else that would do this for me...LOL ...Very Cool stuff. Take care and I hope to see you soon (In one piece preferably)

Arija said...

Your skywatch shots are great , but I love the autumn train shots with the curving tracks and glorius light.

SandyCarlson said...

That was an adventure. I like these shots. The autumnal ones are my favorites.

Those trains do haul. I got caught by one when I was photographing some graffiti in Hartford a few winters back. Fortunately the contours of the bridge were deep enough to stash me while the train passed.

Chris said...

Excellent and funny!!! Looks lie your were not the only one to get that idea, a lot of hats in the areas!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a lovely series Steve. I tell you I would have not worried about shutter speeds, light etc myself, just made sure I got out of there with my sking intack. LOL!!

My favorite is the first one of the fall series.

Roy said...

Brave stuff, well done that man. Great images as well.

Eve said...

WHEW!!! That was close! Thanks for braving it out Steve!

JOE TODD said...

I love trains.. and those were great photos. Thanks so much

Kay said...

Love trains.

JPT said...

Good stuff I must say.

Barb said...

Funny story - anything for a photo, right? Current pics are so crisp, but I really like the fall ones with the curved tracks.

Jay Albert said...

That happened to me too. But I was about 10 at the time and had to climb up a banking and hold on to a tree root. That was my only lesson about the tracks I needed!

Doug Taron said...

This conjured up some great memories. The B&M tracks go right by my dad's house. I spent a lot of time walking along the tracks when I was a kid. Was the bad place between two bodies of water just south of Rt. 133? That's a really cool location.

Related Posts with Thumbnails