Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Burnham Brothers Marine Railway

Built in 1847, this is the oldest continuously operating marine railway in the country. A marine railway is a railway that has a rolling cradle for hauling ships out of water onto land and returning them. This marine railway is located at the Gloucester Maritime Heritage Center on Harbor Loop in Gloucester.

I took this first picture just to see what would happen, not thinking that I would use it. However a week later, I found the railway occupied.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

8 comments:

Roy said...

A dry dock with a difference Steve. Interesting images, thanks.

Eve said...

Very cool Steve!

Jenny said...

This is great! I love it. What an interesting place it is where you live Steve.

The Early Birder said...

Great peice of old fashioned machinery. Thanks for the link to GMHC Steve, it was so interesting I wish I was there now.

Janie said...

Fascinating. I didn't realize there was such a thing as a "marine railway."

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I really like the way the first pict takes your eye right into the water Steve.

A New England Life said...

1847? Wow! Great shots of a working marine railroad. I assume the rock with the plaque on it gives the info about this historic spot that most people would never even notice.

Carol said...

Cool shots of this marine railway...nice parallel perspective in the first shot..so interesting to see empty/occupied...

Related Posts with Thumbnails