Saturday, July 25, 2009

Eastern Point in a new Light

I think that the success of a photographer stems from showing people something that they have never seen before or at least in a way that they have never seen it. So when I go to Eastern Point Lighthouse, where there have been hundreds of photos taken and I also have take a couple-few myself, how can I make it look new and exciting?

Saturday morning we had an exceptionally low tide. This gave me a chance to walk out and get the seaweed in the foreground. Shooting in the morning like this means the light is coming from behind the lighthouse and casting glint off of the seaweed. Oh well, let’s be brave and make he shot.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Looking up the grassy slope to the light tower showing the contrast and textures makes a fun shot. Toss in a human for scale and you get the picture.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I think that the shot through the tree was the surprise shot, and my favorite for the morning. It breaks a lot of rules but that’s what makes it work.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

None of these shots would work in any other season than summer. How can I say that? I’ve tried them in other seasons before!

This is Eastern Point, ever changing with the seasons yet always the same. I hope you enjoyed the shots. Feel free to have a look at my other Eastern Point Light shots for comparison.

Scenic Sunday

10 comments:

Janie said...

Great shots. The lighthouse makes a wonderful scenic backdrop.

Kelly said...

I love your shot looking through the trees...and looking up from the grassy hill. I like these new and unusual angles! You are always thinking!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You are so right Steve, a completly different perspective and I must say a fantastic one too. It is good to try different angles like this. I like how the sky goes from washed-out to blue in the first photograph.

I am always hearing about so many "rules" in photography. WHAT rules? They are a modern invention. Photography to me has always been about seeing something from that pesons perspective.

Linnea W said...

I like what you said about trying to find a different perspective or view of a common theme or subject...you certainly have succeeded with these shots. They are unusual in their composition yet very scenic and inviting. I like them all...

♥Itajeff♥ @Something To Share said...

Wonderful scene
Happy Sunday

♥Ita

Frank C said...

Thats what I like about your photography. It makes you see and think about the shot a little differantly. Thanks for keeping it fresh

hip chick said...

I love the shot through the trees. It's my favorite of the three. Rules are meant to be broken anyway...a ship is safe in the harbor but it never gets out of port.

Kitty said...

You've made the awkward lighting work in the first - since the sky is still blue, but the middle shot's my favourite. How does it look in evening light?

Mary said...

I'm a very instinctual photographer -- see something interesting, point and shoot. This has made me think about what I do...

You have such beautiful subjects to photograph in NE. :)

Leora said...

These are lovely. The second one especially strikes me as a wonderful subject for a watercolor painting, with hints of Edward Hopper, Winslow Homer or John Singer Sargent. The rocks are inviting, and the tower a great form against the pale blue sky.

Related Posts with Thumbnails