Monday, June 22, 2009

Mother Carey's Chicken visits Gloucester Harbor

I have a copy of The Dictionary of American Bird Names edited by Ernest A. Choate that I purchased back in the ‘80s when I was a power birder. In it, there is an entry for Mother Carey’s Chicken. “A sailor’s name for petrel. Yarrell, who wrote A History of British Birds in 1843, stated, “The name was given by Capt. Carteret’s sailors, from some unknown hag of that name.” It has also been suggested that she is a witch of the sea accompanied by imps in the form of little black birds. According to others she is the aunt of Davy Jones.”

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I've never seen the Wilson's Storm Petrels inside Gloucester Harbor. On Father's day, there were dozens fluttering around. Alas, with 300 mms and fog, I wasn’t able to get the real cool shot. However, the only times I’ve seen these Leach's and Wilson's Storm Petrels are while steaming out at 16 knots on a whale watching trip to Stellwagon Bank. These are the shots I have, enough to document that they were inside Tenpound Island on Father’s day. Pitching in the waves and trying to get a good shot of these tiny birds is a fool’s errand.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


P.S. The were here this morning before I went to work too.

9 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well you did not do too badly getting these Steve. :)

Roy said...

Well you got them enough for ID purposes Steve, which is the main thing with such rarities.

Eve said...

Great job...if you ask me!

Abe Lincoln said...

I like the birds photos with the feet and legs out. Nice work.

John Theberge said...

Well, despite the conditions you were still able to get some good shots. I see your weather is matching ours.

kate said...

I wonder if these guys are nesting nearby? I've never seen them in Gloucester either, like you said, only off Stellwagen or the off-shore Maine Islands. Interesting, I will keep my eye out for them!
-kate

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
This is a species we have here too, around the Westmann Islands. I still did not see it this year and hope I will!!! Well done, these shots are really nice

dAwN said...

I am totally jealous and would love to see that bird.

Jenny said...

I'm with dawn there! Totally pea green with envy. Have never seen one as yet......

Related Posts with Thumbnails