Monday, June 8, 2009

Bank Swallows

Bank Swallows
I’ve never had good luck photographing swallows. I look upon it as a fool’s errand. However I know of a spot where I’ve seen them nesting and for the last three breading seasons and in spite of many vain attempts, I’ve had no joy…until last Sunday.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

What do I attribute this success to? A few weeks ago, along the Ipswich River, I saw a Bank Swallow hanging out by a concrete wall that has a three inch drain hole. He was clinging on the side of the wall much like you see in the photo above. It made for a crappy picture, but it was enough to break the ice. Two weeks later, I got these.

13 comments:

fishing guy said...

Steve: Those are wonderful photos of the swallows, nicely shown.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh....Steve, these are fantastic. I've yet to see a Bank Swallow. Now I really want to!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

See, patience DOES pay off. Lovely pics Steve.

Tabib said...

They are fast and hot easy to catch digitally. You have done great here!

Kerri said...

Great shots Steve! I've never seen Bank Swallows before.

TonyC said...

Great photos Steve. You have inspired me to put up a page on my blog regarding a similar experience.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Lovely Photos Steve !! I Am Sure Will Be Back On To Your Blog for Checking Some More Posts !! Great Work..I have statred a new website And Would Like You To Check It .Unseen Rajasthan
for travels and tours.

Lisa said...

Wonderful photos!

dAwN said...

Steve...
great shots...do you not do Bird photography weekly???you should
you have some great bird photos here..
and others would love to see them..

Eve said...

Good work Steve. I was just looking up the swallows here and found I only get Barn and Northern Rough-winged! Wow no more Tree Swallows for me!
There are also many many Purple Martins and Chimney Swift types...so I'll have to do some more research. Thanks!

Roy said...

These are great images Steve and the birds are like our Sand Martins.

kate said...

So happy I just stumbled on to your blog. I saw the SAME bank swallows in the same drainpipe a few days ago! I love watching them hunt over the foot bridge, I live a few streets down and walk over there often.

Great pictures, which I had stumbled on this a few days ago and I might have seen that sandpiper as well.

I'll follow you from now on so I don't miss anything!

-kate

BirdingGirl said...

These are great pictures! Congrats on finally getting your shot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails