Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Least Tern Courtship, one good tern deserves another.

I happened upon a pair of Least Tern courting in Ipswich. This is the first time that I’ve seen Least Tern mating. It is a wonderful sight as they do a little ritual looking to the left, freezing, then looking to the left, back and forth. After the male mounts the female, he passes the minnow to her and she horks it down. It’s all part of the ritual.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



I was extremely luck because every shot I took was a keeper. LOL, later a pair landed about 50 feet way from me and the male gave the female a minnow and not one of the shots came out. Ah, the life of a wildlife photographer. “Um, Mr. Tern, could you do that again, a little more to the right.” Nah. It just doesn’t happen that way.

13 comments:

Chris said...

Wonderful sequence Steve... I'm wordless... Just amazing!!

Kelly said...

...ditto what Chris said! You were definitely in the right place at the right time. I've never seen the courtship before, so thank you for bringing it to us!

ButterYum said...

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Fascinating!

Eve said...

Great work Steve! What a treat for us and for her...the fish that is!!!

Jenny said...

Fabulous Steve. Is this somewhere quite local to you? This is the same bird as our Little Tern. About the nearest I can get to a colony of these wonderful birds is about 1/2 mile distant, so seeing these photos so up close and very personal is a treat. Thanks!

Kallen305 said...

Aweseom shots Steve. Such gorgeous birds that you captured so well.

Andrea said...

What a perfect shot!
Beautiful.

Abe Lincoln said...

Really nice photographs. Crisp and clear. I like them.

Chris Petrak said...

I love the terns - just sent my column to the paper on a few good terns - we seem to be thinking alike this time of year - great photos

The Early Birder said...

Well Steve as I expected the 'encore' was truly EXCELLENT.

Steve B said...

Thanks all, I'm glad you all enjoyed this. Jenny, yes, these were shot about 5 miles from my house as the crow flys.

Roy said...

That was another great "Steve B" production.

A New England Life said...

Nice narration to the video Steve. Good for you in capturing such an interesting moment. At least he gave her a fish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails