Saturday, May 30, 2009

Least Terns

The Least Terns prefer sandy beaches that are clear of vegetation. Here is one of the delightful terns waiting on the beach.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

It turned out that this is a female. A male returned from fishing and I watched him give her a minnow. Unfortunately, the pictures did not come out very well.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This is most likely a male, hanging about with a minnow in his mouth. This time of year, many of the least terns can be found with minnows, advertising his abilities to be a provider.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Again, another probable male. Note that I caught him blinking. He has white eye lids.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This is a Least Tern nest that I photographed last year. It was on the edge of the colony, below the high tide line. To be sure, I waited at a distance for the hen to fly off the nest before photographing this egg. During the following week, we had a new moon and the tide rose above this nest and the egg was lost.



This is the third Least Tern post this week from images taken Tuesday. Be sure to see my breading behavior and flight posts.



Visit Camera Critters


P.S. Can't get enought Terns? Chris Petrak of Tails of Birding took a turn at posting his Terns today too! You need to see this post!

20 comments:

NatureStop said...

Very nice pics...guess the male always likes to be the provider:)

Arija said...

Superb captures of so many of them with and without provisions.
I think he spells hinself with an e rather than a 'u'.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A wonderful post Steve with excellent pictures again. That egg would blend in so well with the sand and be hard to see.

Kallen305 said...

Steve, I am totally loving your Least Tern pictures! Such vivid shots of a gorgeous bird. Makes me determined to get to the beach this summer!

hip chick said...

I love being able to see these birds so up close on your blog. You do such a fantastic job of photographing them.

A New England Life said...

Sharp looking birds, Steve. Where are you photographing the Terns?

Steve B said...

Hi Sharon, Cranes Beach in Ipswich.

Thanks Hip Chick

Hi Kim, I think I'll be going this morning. It's a great day for it.

Hi Joan, Although I knew where the female flew off from, I still had a hard time finding it.

You are correct Arija, Thanks for pointing out that a couple of "turns" slipped in, with all of the terns and returns, my fingers got confused!

Yes, Nature Stop, The males are good fathers and mates.

Sandy Kessler said...

just outstanding photos I thought the guest was here just for me !!sandy

Abe Lincoln said...

These are really neat tern photos. A bird I know very little about.

You probably don't remember when people lived and died at home and endured wakes. I wrote about it here. http://bing-it.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

These photos really are a treat Steve. Thanks!

Steve B said...

Thanks Jenny, Abe, Sandy, I'm glad you liked them.

Matt Latham said...

Superb set of tern shots

2sweetnsaxy said...

Amazing shots. Very cool that you caught the fish in its mouth. Too bad about the egg and nest. One would think they'd have a better spot to nest. I wonder how many eggs float out to sea.

koala said...

I had to check that minnow in the dictionary, anyway amazing post. Thanks for reporting this piece of nature to us.

Carol said...

It looks like she's not sure what to do with it. I like that bit of black on the tip of the beak.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

ELAINE ERIG said...

Fine captures!

Eve said...

They are beautiful birds Steve, too bad about the loss.

Tammie Lee said...

These are fantastic photos. Such fantastic things you see!

Roy said...

These Tern posts have been very interesting Steve. The images are just fantastic as well.

cindyzlogic said...

Great captures of the Tern...Wow! I like how she's walking around with the minnow in her mouth :-) The egg photo was worth the wait! Good job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails