Saturday, May 16, 2009

High Canopy Birds.

I was out walking in the woods near a swampy area and heard a little raucous high up in the canopy. It was a pair of Great Crested Flycatchers. Disappointed that I couldn’t get a shot off, I had to walk away. The next day while walking in the woods by where I work, I saw this one just sitting in the tree. The lighting was coming in from the wrong angle so I had to compromise and take the shot that would show the face and some field marks.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

It's good to see so many orioles in town. They seem to be quite common this year. They love to stay high in the trees munching down little green caterpillars. First is the female followed by three males.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

For those that came in on a direct link, you will want to see today's previous post. I had a very unexpected visitor yesterday that you will want to check out!

After that, check out the MEME, Camera Critters

18 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

So your birds are munching my bugs again are they? LOL!! The circle of life and death. :)

Roy said...

Hi Steve, those Orioles have very striking colours especially the Male and you got some good shots. We get the occasional Golden Oriole here but I have never seen one.

Arija said...

Superb shots,I wish I had a telephoto like yours.

The Early Birder said...

Steve it's just as well that not all wildlife is obliging otherwise it would be too easy, but I appreciate how annoying it can be when you want THAT shot!
Don't those Oriole have amazing colours. Well done friend.

Ginnymo said...

Wow! What beautiful photos!! So colorful!!

madcobug said...

Beautiful pictures. Helen

Steve B said...

OMG Joan, there were thousands of tiny caterpillars repelling out of the trees. I got back car (and office after lunch the next day) and there were 3mm inchworms all over my shirt!

Hi Roy, They do stick out, but once the canopy is fully developed, you will hear them but not see them.

Maybe some day Arija!

That's absolutely correct, Frank. If it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be fun.

Thanks Ginnymo and Helen!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Great to see the orioles. I think I may have seen one this far north the other day...but I have no photos to prove it. ;-)

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
I guess the problem when we do bird pictures is not the bird attitude and behavior, but merely the presence of branches in trees :-) Nicely done as these birds are not that easy to do!

Glennis said...

Wonderful photos. Those male Orioles are so brightly coloured wish we had them out here in NZ.

Greyscale Territory said...

A glorious collection of photos! I can't believe how bright the male orioles are! Beautiful!

Rhea said...

Really great photos! Amazing detail.

Sally in WA said...

Those orioles are wonderful!

Kitty said...

Such, such beautiful creatures! The orioles are completely new to me and I'm amazed at their colouring. Spectacular!

Joy said...

Spectacular photos!

Steve B said...

Howdy, Folks, I'm behind on my commenting (again). Thanks for dropping in and thanks for the feedback!

Karen said...

Gorgeous shots of the birds.

Amazing detail !

i beati said...

how clear and beautiful your photos are I love them Sandy

Related Posts with Thumbnails