Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Piping Plover, Thinking Green Thursday

These are my first Piping Plover pictures of the year.

The Piping Plover is listed as endangered in Canada and the inland United States and is threatened along coast including where we are. This status resulted from direct and unintentional harassment by people, dogs, vehicles and destruction of beach habitat for development.

Here on the North Shore, there is a population along Plum Island and Cranes Beach. A large section of the Plum Island beaches are closed during breeding season and sections of Cranes Beach are roped off.

When shooting these birds, I will spend about 30 seconds with the bird to ascertain its comfort level and snap the picture. Later in the season, they will become more accustomed to people and I should get closer shots. For now, prudent cropping is the best way to go.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

If you are coming in from a direct link, be sure to check out yesterday's Humpback Whale pictures!

Be sure to visit Thinking Green Thursday.

20 comments:

bobbie said...

Steve, these photos as well as those of the whales are fantastic! I am so impressed. They reflect your respect for the creatures you are photographing.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wonderful shots. I like the little stripe around it's neck. It would surprise me if it turned to the front and there was a little bow tie there. :-D

A New England Life said...

Where did you see this little gem? I went to Plum Island twice this week but never saw any plovers. I actually didn't see nearly the amount of birds I had hoped to see.

Paz said...

Awesome photos. Love your bird shots. Definitely a good incentive to Think Green.

Paz

Kelly said...

...they are such sweet birds. I love their little faces and feet!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What a pity that some of our critters are so threatened by reckless behaviour of humans.

I keep on meaning to ask, is my greatest fan from the office still my greatest fan? :) I only have one so I have to check up to see if I am still popular. LOL!!

luna miranda said...

impressive photos! he looks so delicate. thanks for sharing.

hip chick said...

They are such sweet little birds. It looks like you got pretty close to me. And, the whale shots are great also.

Greyscale Territory said...

What a pretty little bird! Love the varied tones of the feathers beautifully contrasted with a soft white!

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
Whay do you want to get closer ? :-) These shots are already really good, sharp and full of light. I love them and love the low angle you got on them.

Pagan Sphinx said...

I haven't been to Plum Island in years. Time to return. When I do, I hope I see these little guys. Though I doubt I could get such fantastic shots! Great job, Steve. As someone said above, these sorts of photos with information, are a great incentive for people to people to think more about our environment and the animals that need protecting.

Thanks for joining in!

maryt/theteach said...

Steve, your photos are magnificent! Of the plover and of the whales! I see plovers every so often on the south shore of Long Island...

Craig Glenn said...

Really nice shots Steve and a great looking bird.

Craig Glenn

Tabib said...

The last one/butt shot is great.The 2nd pic shows motion/sand movement - I like that gait.

Mary said...

They are such charming little birds! As always, your pix are superb, Steve. :)

Roy said...

Lovely little bird Steve, very similar to our "Little Ringed Plover."

Ginnymo said...

Such a cute little bird!

The Early Birder said...

Excellent Steve. These shots are even better than my memory of seeing them thro' the scope in 2003 during a trip to East Beach, Galveston.

Dianne said...

they are so sweet looking, you have a wonderful eye

Carol said...

Nice pictures...they are beautiful birds.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails