Monday, April 20, 2009

Longshots, Long-tailed Duck and Norther Gannet

I was out for a little drive about the cape to see what was still here and what was gone. There was only one Common Loon at Eastern Point and that was it! Most of the ducks are gone and the DC cormorants are coming back. I drove up to Rockport and around to Annisquam Light to see if there were any shore birds around. Zilch.

There was little excitement. I saw a small raft of Long-tailed Ducks. (They used to be called Old Squaw in North America, but the more PC name was adopted.) These were about 300 yards out and I was shooting into the sun and I'm shocked that they came out as well as they did. I wanted to post them because this is the first time I've see Long-tailed Ducks in their breading plumage.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Looking out over Ipswich Bay from Annisquam, I spotted two Northern Gannets. This is an out of the camera shot.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I was able to get enough field marks to be sure what I was looking at, this is a life bird for me.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

7 comments:

Marites said...

first time i've seen a long-tailed duck and it's so cute!! really nice shot!

Ginnymo said...

Great shots!!

Kelly said...

...congrats on the gannets! I really like the Long-tailed Ducks and your photos are nice of them!

Natural Moments said...

How cool, the oldsquaws have shifted into their summer plumeage. I was so used to seeing them in winter plumeage that I forgot that they even had a summer plumeage. Its like they inverse themselves. From negative polarity to positive polarity.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

We have those same Gannets here Steve. I wonder if they migrate back and forth to you. We need to ring one and train it to take messages. :)

madcobug said...

Those long tail ducks are pretty. First time for me to see them. Those two Northern Gannets are beautiful. Bet your arms get tired holding that camera with those lens atrtached. Helen

Steve B said...

Hi Marites and Bernie, sometimes we get one male Long-tailed duck on Gloucester Harbor in the winter. He would be in his winter plumage. B says that he looks like Billy Idol with the bleach blond head, so we started calling him Billy.


Thanks Ginnymo and Kelly.

LOL!!! Joan, if you need to send me a message, you can always email me!Those Gannets are pretty quick!

Hi Helen, No, I really don't tire. I have a holster bag that I put the camera into between shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails