Monday, April 6, 2009

Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

I was just blowing the dust off my Life List and noticed that this is the first Black-tailed Gnatcatcher that I've seen. This was a family coming through where I took my morning walks in Palm Springs. I was lucky to gets shots of the cock, hen and fledglings. This is dad. He’s taking a little time preening. Note that the white under the tail is a good field mark to know.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

He's the cock-of-the-rock.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This is an interesting shot. Notice that pasarines scratch themselves by lifting the leg over the wing. I've seen this thousands of times, but never "got it on film" before.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Here is one of the fledglings. Notice the gape is still quite fleshy.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

This little guy was quite happy sitting in the thicket.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

And this is Mom. I thought it may be a Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, but she's a Black-tail. Definately a matter of shoot first and ask questions later.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

It isn't every day that you get a life bird as a full family. Yup, it was a good day.

11 comments:

Kallen305 said...

Such a precious little bird. Great photos of it too!

Roy said...

That was a good day Steve and they posed very nicely for you.

madcobug said...

Some great shots you got of the family. A beautiful bird. Helen

Eve said...

Wonderful! It was a very good day Steve and you did a great job documenting it!
Thanks

Chris said...

Hi Steve,
wow nie you managed to see it finally. The pictures are wonderful!

Arija said...

Congratulations on catching the whole family and without obstructions. To me it is amazing that you got these fast tiny birds without twigs in front, showing their markungs clearly and in good light. Marvellous.

John Theberge said...

Great photos, I enjoyed your video too. It's amazing sometimes when at first glance a place may seem rather lifeless but if you stop and take the time to really look, all kinds if life appears.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is lovely getting to know a new bird Steve. That white ring around the eye is quite distinctive too.

Kelly said...

...very cool...the bird and the story!! I've never seen one of these little guys. Catching the whole family is especially sweet!

Ginnymo said...

Great shots of all of them. They are cute little birds. I think I got a good shot of a Nuthatch today. I'm hoping to see some new birds soon. Love all your photos!

Rob said...

Hi... great shots!

I saw my first Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher yesterday, the photos didn't come out the greatest as the little guys wouldn't sit still for very long.

I will have to add you to my following list and check in from time to time. I see you have a number of other birds listed here too.

I blog over at "Rob and the Animals" if you ever wish to have a peak.

Cheers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails