Thursday, February 12, 2009

Old Friend, Black Oystercatcher

I guess that this would be more like an old acquaintance. I have not seen many oystercatchers. This is a series of photos of Black Oystercatchers taken in Monterey, California when we visited last Christmas.
Black Oystercatcher ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Bath time is always the sign of a happy bird. Stressed birds do not take a bath. This helps keep feathers clean and groomed. It helps soften pin feathers during a molt.

Black Oystercatcher ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Black Oystercatcher ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse


Black Oystercatcher ©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

10 comments:

Kallen305 said...

What fantastic shots!! I love odd looking birds and that one definately fits in the category.

Roy said...

Great images Steve. We are not use to an all black Oystercatcher. {:)

Kelly said...

Ooohh...love those orange bills!

texasdaisey said...

Wow! I just found your blog & those pictures are stunning. Great color & content. I am impressed.
Debbie

Steve B said...

Hi Kim, ain't they funky? I'll be over to your blog in a few minutes to check up on your falcon.

Hi Roy, we have an American Oystercatcher that I've never seen. It has the same head, brown back and white under parts. The Black Oyster is found from the Aleutian Islands of Alaska down to the tip of Baja California.

Yah, Kelly, someone forgot to put this bird away after Halloween!

Welcome Debbie, we keep the light on 24/7 here and the door is always open. Glad you found me.

Mary said...

Such odd looking birds! Great shots, though, and so wonderful to see them bathing. :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Although they are all good, I really like those of him splashing around Steve. :)I love to watch them bathing like this.

Denise said...

I have never seen these birds before, wonderful shots. Lived in Monterey for two years back in the early 80's, would love to go back.

Jenny said...

Fab shots Steve. I really love that washing one. This reminded me of my trip to Morro bay which is south of Monterey. I saw my one and only Black Oik then. Wish I'd had my SLR then! (-:

Steve B said...

Hey Jenny, Glad I could bring back some happy birding memories for you.

Denise! I didn't know you're a California Girl! B and I always make the trip over from San Jose'.

Hi Joan and Mary, I'm really pleased with the bathing pictures and I'm glad they came out well enought to display.

Related Posts with Thumbnails