Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mute Swan Portrait

I spent a little time with a pair of Mute Swans that were grazing on the sea vegetables growing under the docks. After being snubbed all day by Red-breasted Mergansers and Surf Scoters, these two swans didn’t pay any attention to me. The were just interested in what I had under my dock.

©2009 ShootingMyUniverse



There are two birds here. The first two are of the second bird that came swimming over to see if I had any handouts. Notice that the head and neck feathers are very fluffy. "Look at me, I’m big and white! I’m the cock-of-the-rock!"
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

The photos below are of the first bird that I was working with, following him along the dock as he poked his head down under than ate the growth under the dock, soaking the feathers.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

He would pull his head out of the water every now and then to get some air, look around and then back in he went for more. He absolutely didn’t care about my presence. I had my long lens and this was one of the very few times when I had to move away from my subject.
©2009 ShootingMyUniverse

9 comments:

A New England Life said...

More Swans : )

You know I love all the shots. The detail is incredible. I hope you were just as pleased with them Steve. Looks like you are making the most of your time off.

Kallen305 said...

Such amazing closeups of a beautiful bird. The last one is fantastic with the drops of water on it.

Denise said...

Incredible Steve, the lighting on them is fantastic. What beautiful birds swans are. I haven't seen any around here in a long time.

Kathy said...

Beautiful birds. Its neat they swam over so you could get great close-ups of them.

Steve B said...

Hi Sharon, These turned out different than I envisioned. I'd like to say, "oh, I just turned this knob to do this and put the apature to f99 and that's how to do it." Nope, I surprised the hell out of myself with these.

Hi Denise, What I didn't mention is that these were taken late in the afternoon with the sun sitting low in the sky. This gave me some great lighting.

Yup Kathy, sometimes I get lucky.

Eve said...

So beautiful Steve. They are quite confident birds, they probably know they could knock you right off your feet!!!

Roy said...

You got some great detail on the white on the first one Steve.

Kelly said...

...all are beautiful...captivated by the two water drops falling from the swan's bill on the last shot (and the water drops on his waterproof feathers).

troutbirder said...

First time visitor. Very nice indeed. I especially enjoyed the Harlequin post as they are quiet rare here. As I matter of fact I've only seen them in Montana out flyfishing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails