Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Advanced Birding Poll...What is this gull?

I was looking over the harbor when this gull caught my eye. He looked a lot lighter than the other gulls. I grabbed my camera and took some long shots.

I know there are some talented birders out there. I’m at my whit’s end with this gull. After two hours of pouring over six books, I’m still not ready to make my call. This is where I could use your help.

Here’s what is not in the photo. The location is the Inner Harbor of Gloucester Harbor, 26 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts. The time of day was 1:00 PM on January 10, 2009. We just had a snow storm the night before. The gull is approximately the size of a Herring Gull.

What do you think it is? I’m reserving my opinion so as not to skew yours. Please leave your vote in the poll to the right and feel free to leave a comment!

© 2009 ShootingMyUniverse

8 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well I hope you find someone to ID it for you Steve. When they change their plumage it can be a challenge.

A New England Life said...

I went with the Gloucous Steve, though I doubt I am correct. Too bad you can't track it somehow to see what it looks like once it has fully matured.

The Early Birder said...

Steve, I'm not a gull expert but my call is for Glaucous based on size & lack of streaking on the head. However I've only ever seen a much darker juvenille in the UK.

Christy said...

I'm probably not right but it looks like a Ring-billed Gull in its 2nd winter plummage.

Eve said...

I just caught this post Steve...I've go experts that I can consult. I'll get on the ball and get back to you. Hope you figure it out on your own...it's a great feeling when you do...I'll study up first and then make the call.
A great challenge.

Eve said...

I voted Gloucous but it was a real guess for me. My friend Dick, an outstanding birder, one of the very best, says 1st year Glaucous.
Lucky guess for me! Don't you wish you could just go up and ask that silly bird!! Hey what're you???

Steve B said...

OOoooo! This is looking overwhelming like a Gloucous! Thanks all...I can see second year Ringbilled Gull That leaves one "other" unaccounted for so far!

Steve B said...

Thanks to all who took the poll. We had 4 vote Gloucous and 2 "other" I would have to agree that this is a Gloucous gull.

Related Posts with Thumbnails