Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Surf's up, dude" - Glah-sta style.

It was 23F this morning when I took a drive over to Good Harbor Beach.


I’ll give these guys and galls credit. I was dry, shooting from Bass Rocks looking past Salt Island (the bump to the extreme right of the first image) towards Thacher Island. The wind wind was whipping from left to right shearing the tops off of the waves. It was cold out there. After 15 minutes, I decided it was time to go home for a cup of hot chocolate.



What is really cool about these photos is looking into the waves, you see the true color of the ocean. It is green with the nutrients. The blue color is the blue light reflected from the sky.

This post is dedicated to my wife, B. B went to school in Santa Cruz, CA and although not a surfer herself, she knows the culture. When I was looking for work I told her that I was targeting getting her to the ocean. Work brought me back to New England. (I didn’t make any promises about which ocean!) In my eyes, this is a good compromise. I'm a mountain man (Vermont woodchuck), she is a mermaid.

10 comments:

Eve said...

Wow these images are fantastic!! That is one crazy dude!!
And a very sweet post to boot!
Hi to B.!!! Make her some hot cocoa too!!

Mary said...

Great photos, especially the second one. I can almost feel the spray! BRRRRRRRRRR.

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh, I'm with you. Take a few photographs and get in for some hot chocolate. Nice pictures of the rough sea and the man who must challenge it.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These are very brave (or stupid :) ) people. I could still understand surfing if it was California, but there? Brrrr!! Great shots Steve.

vera said...

well, the gull with the drop is the best one! technicaly i mean

Al said...

Love the ocean shots. Last time I saw good green ocean was in the waters off of Indonesia.

Kallen305 said...

I love how you were able to get such clear shots of them! The water is indeed colorful. It makes me long for summer even more.

Steve B said...

Hi Eve, I sent you comment to B. She's in agreement.

Steve B said...

Thanks Kim, I'd like to say I spent hours to get these shots, but as I confessed, I was looking for warmer places! Hi Al and Vera, thanks for stopping by. Hello to Joan, NCMountainWoman and Mary, glad you enjoyed the post too.

Taster B said...

This was the morning that I headed down 128 at about 7:30 AM to get some last minute shopping done. As I was driving southbound, I saw an SUV coming northbound with a yellow surfboard on the roof. It struck me because it was about 20 degrees out, and I thought this guy must be insane. Yes, winter surfing is big in CA and HI but, in the north Atlantic? Seriously hard-core... I'm surprised his face didn't fall off.

Related Posts with Thumbnails