Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Gull and the Crab

I visited Eastern Point during the low tide. Braving the bitter winds to take some photos at sundown, I saw this Herring Gull hunting back and forth along the low tide line and suddenly swoop down.



He found a red crab and picked it up. I’ve seen gulls take crabs before, they shake them apart and get at the goodies inside.



This gull flew around and landed about 20 yards from me on the Dog Bar Breakwater. He abandoned the crab. I went over and picked up the crab. He was missing some legs. One claw was in tact the other fractured. He seemed to still be alive so I tossed him back into the water. Good luck little dude.

8 comments:

Rocky Mtn. Girl said...

Fantastic photography! To see some pictures along side of the ocean front is a nice change as this cold air and thick snow blankets my area.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I really do appreciate it!
~Michele~
Mountain Retreat- Canada

Steve B said...

Hi Rocky Mountain Girl, I'm glad I found our blog, except it makes me homesick for Colorado. I'll be back very often. Keep posting!

Mary said...

Whew. Your birds in flight are fabbo! I've never been able to catch the action like you do.

Eve said...

Great shots and nice save!!

Kerri said...

WOW Steve....these shots are outstanding! And thanks for saving the little guy!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Great pictorial Steve. I don't know why I seem to miss posting over the weekend. LOL!! Must be because I was catching up on my suntan at the pool all day yesterday!! :)Did I make you a little jealous?? LOL!! Just teasing you Steve!!

Steve B said...

Hi Mary, Shooting birds in flight takes a lot of film sometimes! Thanks goodness digital film fits my budget!

Eve, Kerri, I hope the little guy made it. I did what I could.

Joan, I didn't realize you had a mean streak! ; )

Mary said...

Oh, how wonderful! Amazing to get such great shots of the gull in flight -- that's not easy!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails