Friday, December 12, 2008

Forgotten Photo Friday, Piping Plovers

We are lucky here on Cape Ann to have a couple of areas where Piping Plovers are doing well. I first heard about these threatened birds in the ‘80s and never thought I’d get to see one.





They have taken a beating because their habitat is very desirable for beaches and condos. Here on Cape Ann, we have at least two areas where they have been given some space to exist. I took these photos late last Spring before I started this blog.

8 comments:

Eve said...

Good to hear they are doing ok is some areas. I love that last picture...very good!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Great to hear stories like this Steve.

NCmountainwoman said...

I loved the pictures. It's nice to know they still have a few safe havens.

Richard said...

Crisp, amazingly clear photos shot with obvious love for the subject matter. Very nice.

Kallen305 said...

Love the photos because they remind me of summer.

I saw my first plovers this past summer in Maine. They are so cute and have the sweetest call.

Steve B said...

Hello to Richard, first time commenter. Thanks for stopping by. Yup Kim, reminds me of summer too. A New Englander, white as a sheet trying not to get sun burned. It's just six or seven months away!

I'm really happy that I have an opportunity to bring some good news. The population seems steady here...but still we have to be careful not to lose another species.

Mary said...

They are lovely birds! I'm so glad to hear that they are doing OK. And that is a beautiful portrait. :)

Mary said...

That last photo reminds me of the beaches I miss so much. Wonderful, Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails