Friday, November 7, 2008

Forgotten Photo Friday, Portland Head Light

On the fifth of November, John mentioned that Portland Head Light is the most photographed lighthouse in New England. I wouldn’t doubt it. I took these shots in April 2007 with a point-and-shoot.



I'm starting a new series. Forgotten Photo Friday. Photos that that I was going to publish but didn't because I got to excited to publish newer photos.

8 Nov 08 Post Script,
I hope you go up to take a look at
Eve’s shots of the Portland Head Light and shots of the rocky coast of Maine. (She has some very kind words about yours truly, for which I’m thankful, but the post is about the photo.) I know many of my fellow bloggers have links to Eve already, but for those surfing by, go poke around her blog for a while. She takes these grass photos, ringer after ringer. I visualize these types of shots in my head, but when the “results come back from the lab” they hit the trash bin. She just captures them with precision. This is what our community is all about, inspiring one another.

Anyone else have a photo of Portland Head Light to post on their blog? Drop a comment and I'll get another P.S. listed. I'm hoping that John from Maine Nature Photos (with his fabulous new book A Pictorial Guide to Maine's Roadside Flowers) has an image to show us.

7 comments:

Eve said...

OH Steve! You were standing on the place where I took a picture from the lighthouse!! I will have to post it tomorrow! My point and shoot probably didn't do as good a job as yours! That's awesome!

Mary said...

These are beautiful, so I'm glad you didn't really forget them in the end :-)

Steve B said...

Cool Eve, I'll be looking for yours. Thanks Mary, I have so many photos that get left behind. This is a favorite light for many people. It's in excellent shape and is an icon for the area. With the gas prices, I didn't get up to Maine much this year. I've had other photographers say that they head up to Portland after storms to catch the waves crashing. They say it is very spectacular.

Marvin said...

Classic lighthouse photos, Steve -- and I mean that in the best possible way. When those of us who've never actually seen a lighthouse on a rocky coast think of lighthouse this is our mental image -- at least, it is for me.

Denise said...

I am very happy to have discovered your blog thanks to Eve's link. Your photos are absolutely wonderful.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Terrific shots of this lighthouse Steve. You have a good idea there posting forgotten ones, I do the same thing and then when I go through the older ones I think "I must post this" but never get around to it. :)

John Theberge said...

I photographed a wedding here last spring, needless to say I got some awesome photos. Did you check out the old mansion while you were there? It's pretty interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails