Monday, November 17, 2008

Fitz Henry Lane in the Fog

This is a tough time of year for an amateur photographer. The sun rises while I’m getting ready for work and the sun sets just before I leave for home. The only time to get outside to shoot is on the weekend. My challenge is to find a diverse and interesting set of images in a short amount of time. This past weekend was rather challenging. Fog on Saturday and heavy winds on Sunday.

Adult, non-breading Herring Gull in fog with buoy. (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

Pea soup fog can be fun to experiment with. This fog was so thick that visibility was only a hundred yards at times. So this week you will see some foggy-soggy shots.

This is a statue honoring Fitz Henry Lane, a Gloucester artist that I have grown to really admire. He painted his universe and did it very well. I’m amazed when I see his paintings that the colors that he saw are the same colors that we see in Gloucester. I hope that if you come to Gloucester that you visit the Cape Ann Museum and see his work.

(c)2008SmellsLikeGrape

7 comments:

Eve said...

Well you sure make it look easy Steve! That gull with the bouy is fantastic and I admire Fritz Henry Lane for enduring the elements to capture his world!! You too!!!

Steve B said...

: )

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It is getting to be winter for sure and the coastal areas always seem to have more fog than inland. I love the seagull.

A New England Life said...

I would love to be able to photograph seagulls. Even though they are considered a pest in the bird world I still think they can be beautiful. Your picture proves that.

Sharon

Steve B said...

Hi Joan, Oddly enough, we usually get more fog in the summer than any other time.

This area is a good place to photograph gulls, Eve. We have the Great Balck-backed gull whick is a huge bird. In many places, they are used to humans. You better watch your gear at the beach because the gulls will inspect it should you leave it unattended!

Eve said...

Believe it or not Steve...we have seagulls here! My cousin from Maine cant get over it, but because I am less than three miles from Lake Ontario I live in a world of gulls. We get the Black-backed and although I've never seen one fly over, I usually see them when I go do counts at the lake. I've had a hot dog stolen off the grill by a ring-billed gull, but no gear yet!!! Ha Ha!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is odd. I wonder why?

Related Posts with Thumbnails