Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Back from the Pacific North West

Some many have noticed a lack of commenting activity from SMU. I’ve been out of town for the last few days visiting relatives in the Pacific North West. I wanted to travel fast and light, so I didn’t lug out the lap top. Before I left town, I did schedule some posts to keep the blog fresh.

I got back into the airport at midnight last night and arrived at home at 3:00 am. I slept until 10:00 and spent the last three hours catching up on my commenting. Thanks for all of my loyal commenters for sticking in there without reciprocation.

I understand the weather was NASTY while I was gone. It seemed okay, the roads were damp at 1:00 am when I started home. When I got out of my car in Gloucester, I noticed that the garbage can has gone missing and I could hear the ocean roaring. Yup, the weather was terrible as mentioned in other New England area blogs.


(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

I didn’t have as much time to shoot as I would have liked to. Here is a shot of a Fox Sparrow. This was a pretty large sparrow, bigger than, say, a White-crowned Sparrow and smaller than a Towhee. He flew through the brush like a big tank. A real dapper chap, I love his colors. I’ve been out of Fox Sparrow territory for the last 19 years, so if I misidentified this, please let me know!

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

This second photo is a little flawed, but I like the field marks. Again, for you folks in the PNW, if this is not a Fox Sparrow, please let me know!

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Yip!! I thought you were out of town. :) Welcome back, we missed you although we did leave messages. Whatever that sparrow is called, it is a beautiful little thing. Our sparrows are awful, drab looking things and not worth taking a pic of. LOL!!

Kallen305 said...

What a handsome bird. Yes the weather in Massachusetts has been dreadful. First it was the cold and then all of the rain. It's nice today so I am not complaining. ;o)

Eve said...

Hi Steve nice to have you back and sorry about the trash can!! Ha Ha! I'm glad you liked the Guinea video!
I can't help too much with the ID of the Fox Sparrow. I haven't seen one here in years. Also ours are lighter brown (reddish brown). I hope someone comes up with a positive for you.
Thanks so much for identifying my sun pillar!! I learned something new today!

Steve B said...

I'm feeling less freaked out about the I.D. I dug into some older Peterson's Western field guides. There are so many races of Fox Sparrows and they tend to disperse and intermingle in the winter. I remember the ones out West were these chunky dreadnaughts that would have a distinctive flutter through the brush. Little bulls in the china closet.

You are very welcome for the data about the sun and yeah, that video is a hoot!

kyles anima said...

thats a fat bird!

Related Posts with Thumbnails