Friday, October 24, 2008

Spider

I decided to go for a walk after work because it was so nice out and there is a finite number of pleasant days left in this year. I found this little guy building a web out on the docks. Now I’m no macro photographer but the digital revolution has provided me with the freedom to do things that I wouldn’t normally do. This little guy, (actually, he was about 2 inches long) has a furry little face that was hard to shoot. He was quite happy to give me the opportunity to just watch him for about 20 minutes. Thank goodness digital film is cheap!

Putting aside the creepy factor, it was really interesting to watch the spider purposefully move around, “just like he knew what he was doing”.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse


(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



I was packing my 70 to 300mm lens. The light was getting low so I had to go with flash to get a little depth of field and some stop motion. I was shooting on a dock, so the water and boats were far away enough to keep the background clean. The extra depth of field gives the pictures some body.

5 comments:

Eve said...

Well I think you did pretty good with this macro Steve. I love getting a good spider shot! I can see the flash in his little bitty eyes!

Marvin said...

She posed well for you and you did a great job of capturing her image. Getting the lighting and DOF right for larger spiders can be tricky.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

He/She is definitely a cutie!! These are excellent pictures Steve!!

Taster B said...

eek!

Steve B said...

Hi Honey! Taster B is my much better half and the brains behind Smells Like Grape. (She hates spiders!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails