Sunday, October 12, 2008

Norther Harrier

There are many ways to photograph birds. My favorite method is to strap on a camera and go out for a walk. After all, I shoot what I see and how I see it. Last weekend I got caught contemplating my navel when three Northern Harriers came swooping over a sand dune on Plum Island.

Northern Harrier (c)ShootingMyUniverse

Yesterday on a walk through a salt marsh in Rowley, I had another Harrier swoop over the ridge. Northern Harriers fly low to the ground with an undulating, swooping flight path as they hunt. They are fun to watch. They can pop up out of no were and disappear. I’ve missed more Northern Harrier pictures in my life. This time I got lucky.

Northern Harrier (c)ShootingMyUniverse

6 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am really glad you got these shots Steve. Fantastic!!

kyles anima said...

WOW! Amazing detail and lighting!

John Theberge said...

Fantastic flight shots, especially in front of the red tree.

Eve said...

Your harrier shots are fantastic Steve! This is a regular hawk at my home. I have yet to get a picture like this! What kind of camera and more importantly lens are you using for this type of shot? Just beautiful!

Steve B said...

Hi Eve,
Thanks for commenting. I shoot Nikon D80s. I pack two lens, 18-200mm and 70-300mm. I've been shooting birds for decades. This is the first time I've been able to get a photo like this.

Bird Girl said...

Not only did you capture BOTH of these harriers beautifully - but to think you got the fall color for a backdrop - I'm downright JEALOUS!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails