Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Chasing the Light in Rockport

I could see that the sky was setting up good sunset. Decisions have to be made quickly. I thought I’d like to go up and shoot Thacher Island from a different vantage then skip up to Rockport to shoot a weather vane with the high pink clouds that I was predicting. I didn’t know what I was setting myself up for.

I drove up to Rockport a beach on the a few miles south of town. I hopped out of the car. The sun was getting low in the sky and what did I see? About 50 Sanderlings feeding in a corner of the beach at low tide. They were not doing much running back and forth and I the lighting was dramatic. Abandon plan A, onto plan B. Down to the beach, knees in the mud. I got some awesome shots.

Sanderling (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

I hung on a long as I thought I could squeeze shutter speed out of the light. The birds were extremely cooperative. I was shooting from 10 to 50 feet and they accepted me quite readily.

Then onto Rockport. What did I see? No pink clouds behind the weather vane, but some awesome light on Motif #1. Now those of you who don’t know Rockport, Motif #1 is called so because ever since Moses was in the third grade, people have painted the red fishing shanty. I thought it was just a brilliant photo subject the day I discovered it. Now it is fun to watch other people discover it.

Motif #1. (C)2008

Finally, the pink clouds were setting up behind the weather vane. I didn’t get the exact profile I wanted, but I’m pleased with it. From the time I hit the beach to the time I finished the weather vane: 30 minutes. I call this “chasing the light”. In fact, I wanted to call my blog “chasing the light” but someone else used it and never started the blog. Danm.

Weather Vane (C)2008

3 comments:

PaulaO said...

I love the shots. I love that you chse the light. I'm very impressed. I truly enjoy your blog. I found it through the Good Morning Gloucester site. Your photos really take me to some of my favorite places in the world! Thank you for sharing them.

Steve B said...

Thank you for the kind words. You've made my day!

amyf said...

I simply love this shot of the weathervane. Is it possible to use this photo. I'm creating a business card and feel this photo is stunning. There are several weather vane photo that are floating out in the internet but you're is a one of a kind and would never want to use it with out seeking your permission.

Related Posts with Thumbnails