Monday, September 29, 2008

The Begining of Fall

The leaves are starting to turn here on Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Braving the rain yesterday, I just had to get out of the house. It’s Fall. When I was a kid, I used to hate autumn because it signaled the end of freedom…back to school.

Living in LA for three years and Colorado for sixteen, I’ve been away from the spectacular Fall colors. The kind of colors that would fill the mountain sides as far as you could see. Or maybe that is the way I want to remember Vermont.

I remember my University days at UVM, walking down Maple Street from campus in October with the sun shining through one hundred year old trees onto a carpet of colored leaves, kicking them up as when I was a kid. It didn't matter that I was now 20 and studying physics, I was somewhere between lecture and study. This was my free time.

There is a smell to Fall, the leaves falling have an earthy smell of dampness mixed with the fragrance of MacIntosh apples. The colors and the sounds are punctuated by Blue Jays calling across the woods.


Maple Leaves (c)2008




Maple Leaves (c)2008

5 comments:

John Theberge said...

I love the vivid red of these leaves. You'd love it up here in Maine right now, the trees are changing rapidly. I need to get out there and start capturing it with the camera because it'll be gone before we know it.

Steve B said...

We are just starting down here. This one tree seemed to be in full color production and is as bright red as I've ever seen. There are a few branches turning here and there. If this is an indication of the colors this year, we are in for a spectacular Fall.

Kathleen Valentine said...

Just came back from running errands and was amazed at how much color there is since the rain stopped. Beautiful out there!

No place like Gloucester in the fall --- great photos.

Steve B said...

Thanks Kathleen. I'm keeping my eye on the Unitarian Universalist Church with that nice row of maples. I'm hoping for a nice framed shot of the 18th century building.

You know, I don't if this blog would be as easy to do if I lived anywhere else. I just grab my camera and go for a walk. There is so much to see. Yes, Gloucester is special.

SAPhotographs said...

I love the colors in these Steve. It is a wonderful time of year for wonderful shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails