Thursday, August 10, 2017

Two Unusual Dragonflies

I saw this dragonfly for the first time on 7 July 2017 in Florida. It was hunting in the vegetation along the edge of the water. I could see that it had some unusual coloration. There was no chance for a shot, sometimes you just have to let it go.

I went back the next day and was surprised to see that it was hanging about by a Roseate Skimmer. I was able to take a few shots. This is a Two-striped Forceptail.

©2017 Steve Borichevsky©2017 Steve Borichevsky©2017 Steve Borichevsky

Back in Massachusetts, last Sunday I saw dragon flying and it had an unusual shape. I was hoping for a shot. It landed about 50 feet off my port side and the game was afoot! I found him settled on some leaves. It was indeed an unusual dragon. This is a Black-shouldered Spinyleg.

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

This was one of the most professional dragonfly models I have worked with in a long time. He spied something tasty in the air and was off like a shot! I’m used to dragons taking off after a snack but this one was like a bullet! And then he landed putting the sun to my back and struck a nice pose.

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

He took off like a shot again and return to the same leaf, but in another perfect pose.

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

He then took off like a shot again, I’ve never seen dragon fly as fast as this one. He landed a little ways away. Again, a perfet pose!

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

And whoosh! He was off again and landed near by. Perfect again!

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

One more attack and a back. This was my last shot and he was gone.

©2017 Steve Borichevsky

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails