Thursday, September 8, 2016

Eastern Wood Peewee

I was having a nice stroll down the trail, taking my gear out for a walk (which is what I call it when I’ve got my 12 pounds of equipment and I have not had much to shoot) when I heard the insistent high nasal zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee. This made me think that there was an accipiter nearby, but it usually stops after a few seconds. But it kept on zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee, zzzeeeee. I thought it might not be an alarm call, but some juvenile Chickadees or Titmice begging. Then I spotted the reason for the alarm. It was a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

But that isn’t what I wanted to show you.

Mixed in the flock with the Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and White-breasted Nuthatches was an Eastern Wood Peewee. This was pretty cool, because I do not see many ‘round here.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

They look very much like Eastern Phoebes except that they do not pump their tails and they have a yellow lower mandible as shown in this photo below that I shouldn’t be showing, except that it shows the yellow lower mandible.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails