Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Norther Flicker

I have assigned a particular significance to Northern Flickers. As a children growing up in Vermont, we were all familiar with Robins, Blue Jays, Chickadees and Cardinals. Somewhere along the line I began to pay attention to this big brown woodpecker that would probe the lawn for insects. I thought it was strange for a woodpecker to be pecking something other than wood, yet here was this bird. I began to look for this bird as I would leave the house. That was when I started to pay attention to the different behaviors of birds.

Now many decades later I know that we have American Robins, not all jays that are blue are Blue Jays, and we have Black-capped Chickadees and Northern Cardinals. Oddly enough, it all started with the Northern Flickers. Yet I have never been able to get a decent photo of them.

Today, I’m happy to say that problem has been resolved.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

Of course there is the familiar red field mark on the back of the Yellow Shafted sub-species, but I’ve never seen it in detail. All of the guides show it as being flush with the rest of the feathers on the back of the head.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

Above is the female, below is the male.

©2016 Steve Borichevsky

©2016 Steve Borichevsky ©2016 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week!

3 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Excellent pictures!

Silver Parrot said...

Wow...fantastic shots of one of my favorite birds!

Neil said...

Great photos.

Related Posts with Thumbnails