Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My little buddy from Palm Springs, California

There were a couple of reasons why I spent so much time working with this one male Costa’s Hummingbird. His favorite place was in a lower bush, rather than in the top of a tall snag. He would patrol and always come back to a spot where I could (relatively) sit comfortably on a rock and he faced into the sun. Most will put their backs to the sun, which makes shooting them more difficult.
©2015 Steve Borichevsky
He was so comfortable having me around that I could change my position to get more favorable backgrounds without spooking him. I saw him chase off other hummingbirds and bees from his bushes. But he seemed to realize that I had no interest in stealing his flowers, so he put up with me.
©2015 Steve Borichevsky
These chuparosa flowers are the source of his yellow forehead.
©2015 Steve Borichevsky
Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week.

4 comments:

nattsyrransphoto said...

Wow, so pretty and very exciting little bird. Thanks for sharing :)

Sharon Wagner said...

I've never seen that variety. A real purple breasted beauty.

Lea said...

I think all Hummingbirds are pretty, but this one is especially beautiful!
We have Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds visit us here in Mississippi in the Summer months.

Chris Rohrer said...

The Costa's is a tough little hummer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails