Friday, August 21, 2015

The Milky Way

When I was much younger growing up in Vermont, I decided that I would learn the constellations in my sky. Since there wasn’t much light pollution, I was able to see the milky way as I laid on my back with my start chart in hand.

Since then, I have lived in near major cities and the opportunities to see the milky way again were very few. Below is a photo looking east over Plum Island with Ipswich to the right and Newburyport to the left. We get a lot of air traffic over head as the plans come and go from Boston Logan, about 30 miles south.

 

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Here is the milky way going over the trees to the south of the house.

 

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Looking straight up, the milky way can be seen. There are thousands and thousands of stars just in this one little slice of the sky.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Some people feel small when they look up in the sky. Not me. I feel lucky.

7 comments:

ladyfi said...

Wow - stunning shots!

Margaret Adamson said...

Amazing shot Steve. Have a great weekend.

Silver Parrot said...

Very nice - too much light pollution here to be able to see much, but I went on a stargazing tour on vacation in Sedona, AZ, this past Spring and saw the Milky Way for the first time as well as many of the constellations. It was awesome. Love your photos of such a beautiful night sky!

Marie C said...

Beautiful images! Great night skies!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shots, Steve! Happy weekend!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful sky shots, Steve! I always feel lucky when I manage to get out to the desert, because the MW is usually easy to see.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I Feel lucky just to look at your beautiful night photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails