Thursday, August 13, 2015

Halloween treat in August

I was walking along a corn field in Ipswich, Massachusetts late Sunday afternoon. Earlier in the day was too windy and cloudy to do any serious shooting. I noticed an orange colored bug flitting about. My first thought was that it wasn’t a dragon, but I chased it down anyway. It did turn out to be a dragonfly once I got near it. This is a male Halloween Pennant, my first encounter with one.

This was my first shot, directly towards the sun, but you have to be fearless with the light. The corn stalks in the background made a wonderful backdrop.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

I was able to work my way around the bug so that I was between it and the sun.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

There, now you can see why this was named Halloween Pennant.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Speaking of being fearless with the light, later on in the walk, deep in the woods by a swamp, I was getting scolded by a warbler. I didn’t think much of it until I caught a glimpse of the striping under the belly. I knew I was onto something special, but I had to shoot first and ask questions later. Unfortunately it was under the dark canopy in the shadows. Well, in one of the crazier moments in my photographic history, I jacked the ISO up to 6400 and with f/8 and gave it +1EV exposure boost to compensate for the back lighting and threw caution to the wind. The resulting shutter speed was 1/80th of a second, I was lucky that everything was still.

The result? I was able to get a good enough shot to see that I had a Northern Waterthrush!

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Just so you know why I did this, this is how it appeared to me in the woods.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

1 comment:

Pam said...

What a great name for a dragonfly, fantastic shots. Nice capture with the Waterthrush too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails