Thursday, July 16, 2015

Northern Pearly-eye

First up is the first Clouded Sulphur that I have seen this season. I was not fond of this horrid background. Perhaps the  Clouded Sulphur thought that I would have left it alone if it chose a bad backdrop for the image.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Along Rt 9 in Vermont on a little walk to stretch my legs I flushed up a dark butterfly that was getting some minerals from a mud patch in the trail. It flew on the shady side of a tree. I had no idea what it was, but this is what it looked like in the deep woods. Surely he must taste good to the birds if he has developed this hiding skill.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

Using the built-in flash, I dialed in an exposure/flash combination and got this image. It is a Northern Pearly-eye. This is a new bug for me. Sure enough, my butterfly books mentions that this bug likes to fly around in the shadows and perch on the sides of trees.

©2015 Steve Borichevsky

2 comments:

Carol Mattingly said...

He's a beauty and I've never seen one of 'him' before either. Carol

Andy Wilson said...

Northern Pearly-eye, I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Related Posts with Thumbnails