Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Nesting Female Costa’s Hummingbird

I spent a couple of days with Mama Costa here before I started shooting a couple of pictures. Some times I would just leave my gear near the nest so she would be used to it. Not once did she leave the nest. Since I was not working in a blind I would only stay for very brief periods. Although the bird may not flush, there is always the chance that although she would stay, the pressure would build up and she would flee. So I did the fussy camera setup when I knew she was off the nest and took a couple of brief shots and got out leaving the gear until she was off the nest. Then I would retrieve the gear.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Another spot I saw was being favored by a female Costa’s. After a couple of days the curiosity just got the better of me. I waited until I saw her go out to feed and poked around and found her nest.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week!

5 comments:

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful shots, Steve. I like the view down at the nest with the tiny egg!

Margaret Adamson said...

How fabulous to have found this bird on the nest.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome shots of the hummingbird! Their nest are so tiny..

Adam Jones said...

What a tiny little nest, but I just love the Hummers.

Frank Boxell said...

Excellent shots of this tiny hummer and its delightful nest. The stealthy approach certainly paid off Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails