Thursday, March 19, 2015

A funky sighting from a year ago

From a 20 March 2014 posting:

I have to thank Becky for finding this one for me. I was driving home from Littleton, Massachusetts and got a text message. I needed gas so I pulled in to top off the tank and checked the message. It was pretty cryptic, something about finding a half dead bird with a long bill under the bush. When I got home, she gave me more descriptive details. It sounded like a American Woodcock to me. We do have them here in the yard. I’ve flushed up one last year and in the summer and we can hear the boys out there doing their mating calls during the summer.
I went out and found it strutting about. My luck with Woodcock has always been that I would have a flurry of brown feathers with a long beak suddenly flush out from my feet and that would be the end of it. This one didn’t quite know what to do. He froze. Then did the funky strut.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
Here he is keeping an eye on me.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
He’s just too cool.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
After a bit, it strutted to the wood line and then feeling the security of being amongst brown leaves I let it be.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
Yah, little buddy, you are welcome to hang out as long as you want.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky

3 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

These are fantastic shot of this bird.

The Furry Gnome said...

Incredible pictures of a Woodcock. I sometimes hear them, but have never seen one.

Frank said...

Well done Becky for giving you the heads up on this one.

It sure posed well for you Steve.

Daytime sightings of Woodcock are pretty rare for me but have watched the roding at dusk on many occasions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails