Saturday, January 17, 2015

Big Morongo Bobcat

This is my second bobcat sighting. This animal was in the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve. I was a bit surprised that this cat accepted my intrusion. He let me shoot him for about five minutes. As you will see, it got up and changed positions a couple of time and stayed focused on the grass. I would think that it was hunting for mice or pocket gophers.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

This is the last frame that I shot. At that time, a group of hikers were chatting and coming down the trail. He started up the trail towards them and slipped into the brush. The hikers did not see it.

I must admit that I’m always a bit apprehensive around these cats. They look mellow enough, but I wouldn’t want to get in a scrape with one. 

Be sure to check out Saturday’s Critters this week.

10 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Yes probably better to keep your distance. He is lovely and posed well for you. Have a great weekend.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow, great pictures! It's great just to see one!

Kathryn said...

Wow! Amazing experience. He seemed like he was posing just for you!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, Steve! Awesome sighting and wonderful photos of the Bobcat! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy weekend!

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

Oh what a wonderful encounter...lucky you! I've only seen one in my life and he was careful hidden in some brush. Wow, if I saw what you did my life would be complete. Damn hikers though!

Cheryl Ann said...

How lucky you were! I've actually seen two bobcats up in the Santa Rosa mountains...one in Garner Valley and one up in the pinyon area. Just looked out of my car and there they were! Different times, however.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

I love the pictures .. !!! .. Excellent!!!.. Congratulations and greetings ..

Gunilla Bäck said...

Amazing photos of this gorgeous cat!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Nice to see a bobcat up close. There have been sightings in Ontario but I thought they were a bigger animal.

Roy Norris said...

He obviously didn't consider you a threat Steve.
Amazing images.

Related Posts with Thumbnails