Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Barred Owl in a White Pine Grove

This is one of the most difficult photo shoots that I’ve pulled off. I was walking through Appleton Farms and herd a bunch of Blue Jays scolding in a pine grove. After listing to the Jays bicker and complain for a while, I saw a large shape fly through the white pines. He landed in close to the trunk and was in the shadows. It was about 50 feet in the above ground and the pine grove was thick and dark.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

The Blue Jays started to scatter as I came in, but the Barred Owl didn’t mind my presence. Eventually the Jays disappeared which perplexed me because the jays were not afraid to harass the owl, which may like to dine on jays, but they were afraid of me, a creature that has never tasted a jay.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Nevertheless, the Barred Owl was not the least bit afraid of me and let me take some shots. This is my favorite!

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Eventually he found another branch and started preening as the sun started to go down. What you are seeing here is its foot with the claws retracted. For a brief moment, the sun peeked through the clouds.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Having captured my images, I left it in peace. Perhaps he was happy that I came by an spooked the jays away. Or maybe it just didn’t care.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Be sure to visit Wild Bird Wednesday this week.

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Awesome sighting and photos of the Barred Owl.. Have a happy Thanksgiving...

The Furry Gnome said...

Great pictures - hard to get with the owl silhouetted against the lighter sky!

The Furry Gnome said...

Great pictures - hard to get with the owl silhouetted against the lighter sky!

Roy Norris said...

Under the conditions, you did very well to pull that one off Steve.

Stacey Dawning said...

Lovely images. I've got to put "capturing owls with a click" on my bucket list!!

Gunilla Bäck said...

Gorgeous photos! It's a magnificent bird.

Marilyn Kircus said...

I just remembered to put my link up to Wild Bird Wednesday and found my blog was next to yours. Enjoyed looking at your beautiful owl pictures for the second time.

Stewart M said...

Great shots - any owl is a good owl, and this one looks great!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

BumbleVee said...

What a thrill to capture an owl close up ....

... I bet Jays just taste like chicken...... hahahah.....doesn't everything? ...

Susan (ABON) said...

How fortunate to have such a close encounter with the Barred Owl. Beautiful bird and images, Steve.

Kelly said...

...gorgeous!! Love these shots and this bird!

Marie said...

Interesting encounter! Great photos!

Ida said...

Wonderful photos of this amazing bird. I enjoyed all of them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails