Sunday, October 5, 2014

Halifax, Vermont

I have to admit, I like exploring the back roads. I found myself semi-lost on the in a valley along the Green River. Before I knew it was driving uphill on a road not much more than a cow path. I popped out just below the Hogback Mountain overlook!

My brother, who lives in the area laughed when I told him. “Yah, Halifax. Four roads in, only one road out.” (It’s a Vermont thing. Kind a like, “You cayunt get thaya from he’a”.)

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

So the flatlander* pulled up to the farmer and asked, “Where does this road go?” The farmer replied, “I’ve been he’a all m’ life and it ain’t gone noway’a yet.”

“I’m trying to get to Montpelier.”

“You cayunt get thaya from he’a”.

 

 

*Flatlander: Anyone who is in Vermont at the moment and cannot trace his family roots back to Vermont for at least four generations.

2 comments:

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I like the way they think. I have never been lost, or semi-lost. I just say I was momentarily confused.

Ida said...

What beautiful fall scenes. I would love visiting this area. That was a funny joke.

Related Posts with Thumbnails