Friday, September 5, 2014

Braintree, Vermont?

I’ve ridden by this building a thousand times when I was a youngster. I knew it was a school house, but but beyond that I really didn’t put much attention on it. Back in the ‘60s, the front door was bricked up and I always though it was abandoned.

Today a deal of restoration work has been done and now I know a little bit more about this building that is on the corner of Rt 153 and Warren Switch Road, or “Switch Road” as we called it.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

It goes back to 1852 when this school house was erected. The town of Pawlet had 10 similar one room school houses. Its predecessor was a wooden structure that burned down. This was part of a settlement known as Braintree which was named for the town of New Braintree, Massachusetts where its original settlers came from. This building earned a place on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. It is gable-front Federal Style school, it has long-leaf yellow pine flooring, the original wide board blackboards and the original Ajax wood stove.

Now if you are a fan of masonry, what you are looking at here are the double wythe rose brick walls laid out in five course American Bond.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Across the street from this location is a great example of a beautiful Vermont setting in the summer.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

5 comments:

Judy said...

I've always wondered why anyone would name a place Braintree...

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

I like the "great example of a beautiful Vermont setting in the summer" photo.

Carol Mattingly said...

Love that photo of the barn Steve. What a curious image on it. Carol

Steve Borichevsky said...

Why the name Braintree originates in England, which isn't surprising as much of our Massachusetts names are poached from English towns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree,_Essex

Which sent me into a panic. I noticed that the Pawlet Historical Society spells it "PawleTT". Now for someone who shouldn't be typing too much because he don't type too good, I though, "Damn, I've published another typo." But all of the references I can find on maps, google, business adds and the official town website spell it Pawlet. But Pawlett Historical Society is the name of the not for profit.

Ida said...

Very interesting read about that little school. The brick work is really neat (I love brick buildings) and that view below was so pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails