Monday, August 18, 2014

Butterflies at Appleton Farms

Saturday morning was my first trip to Appleton Farms this summer. I was happy to find a few bugs. Our blogging colleagues Frank and Roy from across the pond do so well with butterflies on their walks through their country sides. I’m always impressed with the butterflies they find. Saturday was my turn. I usually do not see so many species on a single walk. Besides these, I also found a Common Wood-nymph and an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

First up is an Great Spangled Fritillary.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Don’t let the size fool you here. This is an Eastern Tailed Blue. It is the size of a dime. Shown are the underside and the topside.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Shot at a bit of a distance is this Spicebush Swallowtail. (I’m 80% sure that is what it is.)

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

This is the second Monarch that I’ve seen this summer. I couldn’t resist shooting it in a different style.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

Now I showed you this bug yesterday. This is the third Monarch I’ve seen this year.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

A Clouded Sulphur being bashful in the grass. Soon the Asters will be out and the Clouded Sulphurs will be all over them.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

The Cabbage White on Clover. (Much like yesterday’s.)

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

6 comments:

Susan (ABON) said...

Steve, your photos are fabulous! Love them all, but my favorite is the Easter Tailed Blue. Have a wonderful day!

John @ Sinbad and I on the Loose said...

A nice collection of flutterbyes. Well done.

Frank said...

Steve, I'm delighted to see you found some colourful flutters to share with us. Excellent captures. That little Easter Tailed Blue is a beauty.

I'll be posting another 'brilliant' Blue species, from a session today, very soon.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Thanks folks. It's always fun to have a productive photo shoot.

I had a little correction to make. It's an EasterN Tailed Blue.

Roy Norris said...

A great set of Flutters Steve.

Ida said...

Very beautiful photos of these lovely butterflies. I've not had the privilege this summer of actually capturing any in photos, so I'm happy to have seen your wonderful pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails