Sunday, July 6, 2014

Pygmy Nuthatch

Out west there is the wonderful little Pygmy Nuthatch. It is my all-time favorite nuthatch and is one of my comfort birds. We had them in our yard when we lived in the foothills. These pictures are not that great, but I wanted to let you know that such a wonderful creature exists.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

This little fellow was giving me a hard time, ducking in and out of the shadows. I shot him at about 7000ft elevation above Boulder. They love the ponderosa forest and are very active. I always think of them as squeaky toys. Once you hear their call, you will know why. Maybe next trip I’ll do better.

Speaking of comfort birds, way up on top of the ridge was a Western Tanager.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

2 comments:

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Lovely bird. Nice pics.. :-)))

Roy Norris said...

A Nuthatch of any kind is worth watching and photographing Steve.

Related Posts with Thumbnails