Saturday, July 12, 2014

Left Hand Creek and Weidemeyer’s Admiral

Left Hand Creek runs down Lefthand Canyon in Boulder County. Originating in the Colorado Rockies. This creek was one of the many that were swelled way beyond limits last year by the 20 rainfalls that devastated the area last year.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
There is a little creek side park where Lefthand Canyon Drive meets Olde Stage Road. I used like to make little stops here to chill out. The photo below looks downstream at some of the erosion caused by the flooding. This is minor compared to the washed out bridges, roads and land.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
Walking along the side of the creek, I spotted a large, black and white butterfly.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
It was on to me and preferred to keep his back to me as it soaked up some warmth from the light coming though the overcast sky.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
I’ve never seen one of these before. Back in the office, I identified it as Weidemeyer’s Admiral. How fun! I’ve never seen one of these before.
©2014 Steve Borichevsky
I was lucky to get these shot because I had my D7100 + 28-85mm kit lens. Fortunately it settled down and let me get close enough for this shot. Usually I use my 300 f/4 for jobs like this. I went back to my car to swap on my 70-300, but alas, the bug was gone.
And if you are wondering, Left Hand Creek does run down Lefthand Canyon along Lefthand Drive. Why the changed the spelling is beyond my comprehension.

3 comments:

Frank said...

That was a nice find Steve.

The upper wing colours and pattern are very similar to our White Admiral.

Steve Borichevsky said...

Yes, we also have the White Admiral in Massachusetts as well as the Red. That's what I originally thought I had. Roy posed a White Admiral today http://roysnaturelogbook.blogspot.com/2014/07/white-admiral-target-species.html .

Judy said...

Knowing that you use a 300 lens to capture the dragons and butterflies makes me feel a lot better. I don't have one of them, just using the 28-85, and so seldom get bugs...
As for the spelling, have you done geneology research - names get changed all the time! People, creeks, what have you..

Related Posts with Thumbnails